Thursday, August 7, 2014

"Dimension" by Alice Munro


Deal Me In Lite, Week 6: “Dimension” by Alice Munro

This week my half-deck of cards sent me back to The Best American Short Stories 2007 with the five of clubs, which mainly tells me that I must truly suck at shuffling cards.  However, I got an intriguing and enthralling story to read in return for my poor shuffling abilities.


This story, originally published in The New Yorker,  tells the tale of Doree, a young woman who works as a housekeeper in a motel.  As the story opens, she is traveling to meet someone at a “facility.”  Via some very expert foreshadowing on Munro’s part, we quickly realize that this is not going to be a very happy story.  We soon find out that she is going to see her husband, Lloyd, who is locked away in an institution for the criminally insane.  He is much older than Doree, and they married after Doree’s mother died.  Lloyd was her mother’s orderly in the hospital during her illness.  After Lloyd and Doree get together, they quickly have three children because Lloyd doesn’t believe in birth control.  Or bottle-feeding of babies, or public education, or letting his wife have any friends.  He is a controlling husband who believes in keeping his wife “barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen,” as the saying goes.  Lloyd seems to be especially upset at Doree’s friendship with Maggie, another homeschooling mom who Lloyd (irrationally) thinks is trying to drive a wedge between him and Doree.

They argue about these and many other things, until one evening Doree makes the bold move of walking out on Lloyd and going to Maggie’s house for comfort and advice.  While she is there, Lloyd murders their three children.

So we pick up the story on the bus with Doree going to visit Lloyd.  She has already been several times, and after one visit where he begins to reconnect with Doree, Lloyd sends her a long, rambling letter telling her that he has seen and talked with their children, who are happy and alive, living in another dimension.  He doesn’t think it is Heaven, he’s not that religious a man anyway, but he has seen them.  Of course Doree does not know what to do with this information.  What eventually happens on this (as it turns out) last trip to see Lloyd brings the story to a conclusion that will make the reader sit and think about the story for a long time afterwards (or maybe that was just me).

I enjoyed this story by Alice Munro, I think the first of hers I have ever read, and I am eager to read more.  However, I am not so sure about letting Stephen King ever edit another anthology like this one again.  Every story I have read in it so far has been pretty dark and disturbing, at least partially.  (Maybe this is the natural state of current fiction these days, I don’t know.)  This particular story had significant redemption for the main character at the end, which was good, but I’ll just say that I’m more than ready for a story that’s not quite as heavy and dark, Mr. King!

6 comments:

  1. This was also the first short story of Munro's that I ever read. It's the lead story in her collection, "Too Much Happiness." I didn't recognize the title, but when I began reading your post I knew I'd read it somewhere and it was "to the archives!"

    I never posted about it on my blog, but it is certainly a memorable and thought-provoking story. It was a little reminiscent to me of Joyce Carol Oates - another short story master.

    You'll be out of clubs before much longer, at any rate. I am waiting for you to read some of your southern stories, so "shuffle up and deal!" :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a matter of fact, I have already pulled my card for next week's stories... and we're goin' South!! :-)

      Delete
  2. Munro is one of a few authors that I have read about quite extensively in the blogosphere but have never read, yet. I may have to just get one of her collections and read the stories all at once. She sounds like a very intriguing author. Hope your "trip South" is a good one!
    -Dale

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I would have sworn I've never read this story, as I am another who has never read and really, really should have read Alice Munro, by the time I was half-way through your review I knew exactly what was coming up. I think I may actually have encountered this story before and just didn't realize it was by Munro...else I've read another story that cribbed its plot straight from this story!

    I really, really need to figure out where to start with Munro. I suppose I should just grab a well-reviewed collection and get down to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a collection of Munro's stories that I started trying to read at one point but gave up on, because the story I picked just didn't click with me. She merits more attention, though, I think.

      Delete