Saturday, October 18, 2014

Dewey's Read-a-thon: Hour 15

Progress: After supper, and after watching a couple of episodes of 24 season 5 (my guilty pleasure), I resumed reading the Gaiman.  And I did it -- I finished The Ocean at the End of the Lane.  I'll be reviewing it properly in the next few days, but for now, all I can say is...

WOW.

What a ride.  At first I was unsure of what to think about the story.  Everything seemed so weird and alien and not-quite-right.  But then (very quickly) the story heated up and it became one of those books that is hard to put down.  And it's also one of those stories that gets inside your heart and soul -- as I finished the story, I felt my chest getting tight and I was being overwhelmed with the beauty and bittersweetness of the ending.  I'm glad I read this book, and I hate that I put it off for so long.

Now what?

I did something today I didn't think I would do, at least not this early: I got through both of my books.  And it's just now 10 PM.  Granted, I am planning on being asleep for most of the remainder of the readathon (no staying up all night for this puppy, at least not this time around, maybe in the spring), but there's time to read a little more before bed this evening.  I think I may read a short story or two before bed, and then another short story in the morning, perhaps, before the end of the readathon at 7 AM.

1 comment:

  1. Many thanks! The Dewey's readathon cheerleaders have been AWESOME!!

    ReplyDelete