Sunday, October 19, 2014

Dewey's Read-a-thon: Wrapup Post

As I anticipated, I woke up this morning around 6 AM and had an hour to read some more as the finish for the readathon.  So I took that opportunity to read my R.I.P. Deal Me In Lite stories for the upcoming week.  They were (are): "Reports of Certain Events in London" by China Mieville, and "Orchestra" by Stephen Mark Rainey.  I'll be posting about these at more length during the upcoming week, of course, but I liked the Rainey story much better than the Mieville story.

So this brought my read-a-thon activity to a close.  I accomplished a lot more than I thought I would, so I would say all in all, my read-a-thon was a success.

Here's my end-of-the-event meme:

  1. Which hour was most daunting for you?  Oddly enough, it was along about hour 8 or 9 -- the middle of the afternoon.  I think it was probably just a normal middle-of-the-afternoon slump, and easily remedied with coffee and a snack.  I didn't stay up all night but if I had, I have no doubt that some of the higher-number hours would just about have killed me.
  2. Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year?  None of my books were super high-interest, although once I got into the Gaiman, it chugged along pretty well on the interest meter.  I noticed that a lot of people were reading graphic novels this year, and I expect those would work pretty well for those times where interest might be flagging.
  3. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year?  Nope, this was my first read-a-thon so I don't have many expectations that were not met.  Maybe next time. :-)
  4. What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon?  The cheerleading and posting at the main website seemed to go off really flawlessly.  I'm sure there must have been quite a bit of hair-pulling and cussing behind the scenes, but it was not at all evident.
  5. How many books did you read?  Two, and two standalone short stories.
  6. What were the names of the books you read?  All Hallows' Eve by Vivian Vande Velde; The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman; and the two short stories mentioned above.
  7. Which book did you enjoy most?  Definitely the Gaiman.
  8. Which did you enjoy least?  This doesn't really apply since I had only two books.  I really liked both of them.
  9. If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders?  N/A
  10. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time?  Very likely.  I would love to be in the situation where I could actually try to read for the whole 24 hours -- maybe next time.  And next time, I might be willing to be a cheerleader.

2 comments:

  1. Nice work, finishing both of your planned reads and then some. Glad you enjoyed the -thon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Looks like you did well yourself! :-)

      Delete